What is it?
This is a stripped version of the game that contains tools allowing you to customize, preview, and test any 3rd-party content in the actual game’s environment.
- 64bit Windows Vista SP1+ / Mac OS X 10.9+ / Ubuntu 12.04+
- DX11 / OpenGL Core 4.1 / Metal compatible video card
- 2GB+ RAM
Detailed documentation will come later. You can help us by making your own tutorials. A little one can be found on legacy page.
You can always get help on our #modding channel at Discord.
- If you have assets from legacy SDK, just put it into new folder in
Contentdirectory and Asset Aditor will convert them for you.
- Root folders in
Contentdirectory are considered as different mod packs.
- All URI has the following structure:
your_first_pack/mesh.obj. The actual path to the file inside the pack folder doesn’t matter.
- All URI should be lowercase. It’s recommended to keep asset names in lowercase also to avoid possible caveats.
.objis supported for meshes at the moment.
- If you want to feature your work in the in-game mod gallery please check this guide
Do not try to exactly mimic real life representation, but rather try to get fancy nice-looking feel that fits the game overall style.
You can notice that our models are:
- Much shorter than their prototypes
- Can have different count of axles
- Not overdetailed but still recognizable
- Vivid and toy-ish looking
- The biggest buildings have maximum size of
Use vivid colors instead of faded ones, but not too much:
Darker windows look better. Consider using predefined colors:
Consider some parts of the model to use smooth shading:
All of that is just a recommendation and not hard rules. Be creative!
Loading can stuck at
Loading Assets message on MacOS
This is probably caused by macOS sandboxing. Run this command in Terminal to mark the app as safe:
$ xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine PATH_TO_UNZIPPED_FOLDER e.g.
$ xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/VoxelTycoonMac
You can report issues to https://github.com/andrewpey/open-voxel-tycoon/issues. Please ensure no such issue was reported earlier!
Added in-game Mod Browser where you can browse for already published creations and manage installed mods (thanks Alego22 and meinroman for help with bug hunting):
- If you are mod creator and want to feature your work in the gallery please check this guide
- Fixed meshes with more than 50 vertices per face failed to load (thanks meinroman!)
- Fixed multiple axles per bogie do not work (thanks Golden Arrow!)
- Updated chme3 model
- Fixed some UI issues
- Edge pan (in fullscreen)
←↑↓→to pan (hold
- Added persistent settings to toggle music and VSync
- Vehicles moving/stopped state is also persistent (thanks Alego22!)
- More than one smoke per train unit now supported (thanks TransCanadaLimited!)
- Added macOS and Linux versions
- Added sample
- If mesh has no normals they will be autocalculated
- Fixed obj importer generates extra triangles (thanks Alego22!)
- Fixed asset editor does not respect mesh bounds if it was hot-reloaded (thanks Alego22!)
- Fixed wires do not want to explode (thanks firestarspelt!)
- Initial release of SDK 2.0
- Initial release of Legacy SDK